Guest AsterX Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 Thanks for your post. What someone is concerned of, is that the payware market will delete the free modding world and that people will need to spend a lot of money after they purchased a software simulator, to update it. rFactor is a very good platform for modders (the best available, I believe) and people are buying it not only for his physics and/or features, but also because of is "moddability": that, they hope, will be free. So that with a bunch of euros they have a platform which will last years without spend much money. I think that those people will always find some free modding products (a lot, I suppose). But, for those who are looking for high-quality products, with sure support and upgrades, I'm happy that people like you are trying to make their way in this market. I'll surely be a customer of yours (and I actually am one!).
Guest Amon Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 Hi Hudson, thank for reading ( and for taking the time to try to understand a different language ) I'll try to explain my point in english the best i can. About the price of your addons in particular, the only think that i have to say about it is that , if we think about the price of your skies, what should we pay for a complete track ( 3d and textures ) made from scratch ? But in the end it's the market that decides if the price is fair or not, right ? My posts in this thread are more focused on what the community in general is going to be in the near future if it becomes normal to pay for skies and textures. I have always thought that our community is made by individuals who contribuite for passion. Some make addons, some run sites and forums, some organize events. It' s becominig quite normal to ask for support , but only if there are expenses and never for personal gains ( bandwith costs, server costs, software costs etc etc ) But if people who have for years supprted the community only for passion see that textures ( not entire mods ) can be successfully sold to the community, what are they going to think ? That they are fools ? That now it's the time to start asking for money ? Not to underestimate the value in time and money of your work of course.
Guest ][udson Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 (edited) @AsterX: Freeware just won't go away. That is impossible. If anything those creators will strive to do better, and still offer it for free. Almost all of them also work on projects which you cannot sell without rights - so it must remain free. Freeware will thrive alongside payware. As far as prices for payware goes, I'll say again that the relative cost to all that is spent before payware addons is truly quite small. @Amon, Thank you. and I do apologize for not being able to post in Italian. I am amazed how well you guys write (and must speak) good english. Fantastic... The price for a fully new 3d track would be higher, of course. There is an astounding amount of time and effort which goes into that kind of work. Not to mention skill. I would expect the level of professionalism to be the determining factor in how much a track would cost. The market affects this to a degree, yes. Considering some airplane model addons can sell for $60 a model, I don't think $20 for a fully new track with professional level 3d, graphics, and compatability would at all be unreasonable. In fact, that is a very reasonable price. You will know professional work when you see it, and read other people's feedback on it. You will know if it is worth paying for. I also modded for free in this community. I know what it is to do something for passion and satisfaction alone. But I am at a point in my career that my work has commercial value. Ask those who have asked for donations how many donations they got, and they could probably use both hands to tell you. I can't do that anymore with a family to feed. If I could not sell my work, it would not be done. I'd be working somewhere else - like EA, which I hated. You all would have lost nothing if I decided not to charge - because my work would not exist. Freeware modders are not fools. They also may never ask for money for many reasons. But many of them are also not professionals either. Let's be realistic. Besides working at ISI and EA for four years, I have real expenses like the professional camera, my software, my website, my paypal charges, my taxes. Also my programmer is going to be expensive - I am not alone in this venture. Let me put this whole payware situation to you this way. I have been in touch with several professional modellers who are interested in joining forces. If this venture works, and they decide it is worth it to come on board to build tracks with me, how do you think that will end up for the community? Suddenly there is a choice to buy premium new tracks for a small cost relative to the amount of pure enjoyment that would result for users. How often have you wished you could pay ISI $20 to get something great? I can tell you that what will be done by HK.com will be nothing short of amazing, and it will be worth paying for - always. Just never forget that it is a choice! Edited January 9, 2006 by ][udson
mafredx Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 e ora con i poteri paranormali di cui sono in possesso vi illuminero' sul vostro futuro grazie alla magia e alla sfera di cristallo ora avrete la verita'....... ohhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhh abra cadabra simbin salabin vedo vedo nubi e nebbie ...ma ecco ..... anno 2008 .... vedo un link.... si si lo vedo chiaramente ...
livorno10 Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 (edited) A prescindere da quello che sto per scrivere..... Dio Mio ! Che belli quei cieli.....!!!!!! Ora. Ho letto tutti i post, a volte d Edited January 9, 2006 by livorno10
Guest Amon Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 Considering some airplane model addons can sell for $60 a model, I don't think $20 for a fully new track with professional level 3d, graphics, and compatability would at all be unreasonable. In fact, that is a very reasonable price. You will know professional work when you see it, and read other people's feedback on it. You will know if it is worth paying for.302514[/snapback] I really don't know. If i see the future of our hobby under this light, i see an online championship ( which is my primary interest ) where we race in 12 events on different tracks ( worst case scenario of course ) : At 20 $ per tracks we are at 240 $ We have the sim, let' s make the usual 50 $ ( This sim costing only 50 $ has no cars and no tracks of course, if we are all used to pay 20 $ per track who would be so dumb to make a sim with some tracks and cars for only 50 $ ? ) In this champ we all use the same car ( pfeew we're lucky ! ) another 20 $ Now it comes to server rent ( why should organizers find someone to pay the server, or to pay it themselves when users pay tracks 20 $ without a problem ! ) let's say 15 $ for each driver. Organizers, why shoud they do it for free ? Usually organizers are long time online racers who understand what it takes to make a good championship ( or think to understand, but that's a different story ). They spent years on the track, now it's time to EARN SOMETHING GUYS !!! Another 15 $ per driver. Now we're at 360 $ for a 6 month champ. It costs much less than a year at the golf club, we all agree on that. But it looks like when someone buys a company at a price let's say of 100 $ and then dismantle it in 10 different little companies and sells them at 20 $ each.... As you can see I don't have a problem with what you choose to work at and at what price you decide to sell it at, i hope you understand it
Guest Uff Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 e poi a me del cielo simil nuvoloso e dell'acquedotto in hires non me ne frega. Per
Guest Amon Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 Ma solo a me pare di ricordare (qualche secolo fa) una reazione opposta all'annuncio di Racing Legends, secondo il quale si sarebbe potuto comprare di volta in volta l'espansione a cui si era interessati? 302575[/snapback] le reazioni erano differenti perche' al tempo si guardava a RL come alla rivoluzione definitiva..... Rfactor e' un' ottimo sim, ma e' ben distante da quello che si credeva che fosse RL uff.
simoneser Posted January 9, 2006 Posted January 9, 2006 daje ridaje e riridaje,questi topic non vengono fatti per critiche (soldi prezzo qualit
Recommended Posts