track-building and other

Guest el_bec

Guest outrunner

Here is the correct steps to create a track:

Phase 1

1) Use Lofts and make the driving surface (RSDG loft tutorial is good)

2) Export only the geometry of the loft and check it in nK (don't care in this moment about textures, just check the layout)

3) Turn to point 1 and 2 until you'll happy with the result

Phase 2

4) Convert the loft surface in a poly object

5) Detach track faces, so you make sectors

6) Detach every sector to divide road, grass, wall etc

7) Export and test in nK

Phase 3

8) Adjust the grass parts, turn in sand when needed

9) Now you can add scenary, cameras, etc

That's all (easy to say, I know...)

Good work

Guest el_bec

ok that works smile.gif

- made a track layout with lofting (something easy like the indianapolis speedway), setted the INV_STARTPOINT1 to the start of the track( in the near of where i startet the tracklayout-spline, sector 01 will start there, and sector02 - the last sector - is ending before it)

- saving to version001 (after the following breaking to sectors and converting it to polygon editing its profile is getting less easy, i do it only to look on it in netKar, if everything is allright so far)

- broke the track into just only 2 sectors (have to be 2 at least, i think) by converting the loft-extrusion to editable polygon, then do the break by "detach" there then you can name your parts into the suffixes like 01Road01 and so on. i prefer selecting parts via material ID and then take that area away from selection, that you want to stay "sector01"). applying (or letz say setting) these Materials-IDs BEFORE doing the loft extrusion is required (i think)! (on your conture or shape spline/its segments)

- i also putted some textures on the parts(road grass curbs wall), but of course they are badly distorted. i will have a look later on it. just to see if they are appearing.

- saving version002 (this i then exportet as an ASE-file...)

everything is ok so far, going back to version001 (deleting version002, i never will need it again) and going on editing the track (doing banking and stuff)

greetz bec

Guest el_bec

@outrunner:

you can export the loft to netKar without breaking it to sectors? do you name the loft 01Road01 then or do you brake it to at least 2 sectors?

Guest el_bec

everything seems to be pretty easy! i'm now working on a track-convertation from SCGT, Road Atlanta, one of my favourite tracks ever. everything is in place for now, just have to define curbs grass and walls, so that you dont fall of the track anymore when leaving the surface biggrin.gif . if anyone interested i'll post some first screenshots. if everything will go allright, the first beta is out in a few days. i will release it for them who are interested when the definition of curbs and stuff is finished. then it's possible to drive exactly the same track as in sportscar (maybe adding a better tracksurface-texture, but the whole work on better textures i will do for later releases).

so far my little "trackedit-log" wink.gif

greetz el_bec

Guest androS
@outrunner:

you can export the loft to netKar without breaking it to sectors? do you name the loft 01Road01 then or do you brake it to at least 2 sectors?

Hi, You don't need to break it in any sectors, only if you want to see a laptime ending and restarting at the finish line. 85565.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest el_bec

ok Road Atlanta is almost finished now. how about releasing something like that, do i have to go to EA and ask for permission to post here a conversion from one of their games?? does kunos or the mods here support such situations?

greetz el_bec

I'm not sure about EA's tracks, but otherways it is needed to ask permission. Maybe you need to contact to Outrunner for that ? smile.gif