track-building and other

Guest el_bec

Guest el_bec

first hello @ all,

i 'm new to this game and i have to say i 'm very impressed about it's quality in every point. also i'm a bit shocked, that there is such a really great simulation in the net for that long time but i didnt remark it (i found it 2 days ago). loaded some tracks and saw that there is a possibility to build own tracks or convert others. wooot? i ve built some tracks for Grand Prix 3 (with a unofficial c++ trackeditor) like Portland, Long Beach and also Road Atlanta, last one didnt got finished, that time gp4 came out and also other things got more important. but now i'm happy that there is a good game again, that is worth to get in track-progressing again. i will take a look in the track files to get an overview about the possibilities, but i think there are much because the files are standard 3dmax (hope i 'll get firm with that programm, never used it) smile.gif. i think the best way to start is editing an existing track and fiddel a bit around, right? letz see what happens wink.gif

by the way, is it possible to convert tracks from SportsCarGT?

greetings el_bec

Guest el_bec

how can i import an existing track to 3dmax? any1 can help?

the only thing i got to work is a simple track in max-format i've found in another forum. i loaded it into 3dmax, its a little square, inside gras outside wall, without textures and without everything. but i could work out the right folder structure and so on to get it work in netKar, it's quite easy so far.

but it would be easier to learn if there is a complete working track to look inside, to see how texture mapping, objekt handling and all the other things are setted.

so how to import maybe newbury or croft to 3dmax, is it not possible at the end?

maybe anyone can link up here an working simple track (with working box, textures and scenery) just to have a look on how its working.

thx for any help

greetz el_bec

Guest el_bec

thx so far vange. i already know that little tutorial. but there is no hint if its possible and how to load the existing tracks in 3dmax.

i may contact outrunner per mail to ask...

Guest androS

Hi, the only way to import an existing track into 3dmax is to own the ASE file o' that track. But you don't need it really, as I also wanted to start nK/trackediting the same way you do and never had edited something with 3dmax, but now after 3 months trying and failing I have my track at 60% ready and working in netKar.

PS:

You never will see your own tracks work for multiplayer, I guess.

Cheers.

Guest el_bec

hi andros!

yes it seems to be the only way to start from zero wink.gif

i now worked out the texture problem, i can see them in netKar now (had to put the .max file into the trackfolder where i later export the ase to) so far so good.

can u tell me something about the box? is it possible to get it working? i mean starting from there in practice mode and starting from starting-grid in race mode? is it already done with setting the INV-starting objekt or is there something similar for the box?

i'm glad that there is somebody who can help a bit, thx so far.

el_bec

edit: ah working for multiplayer is not the aim, a good looking track that gives u thrill and fun of driving is the aim. then the authorization maybe comes from alone wink.gif but i will not be dissapointed when i wont get. trackediting is passion wink.gif

Guest androS

hi, as far as I know, practice mode is Track Day and Race Mode can you have only in multiplayer, right? or am I missing something? so far will my car ever start from the box or pitlane or wherever we will put the INV_STARTPOINT.

Guest el_bec

another question, wich procedure do you use? u think lofting is the right one? i found a little tutorial about it, but not depending on netkar, but on racetracks in general, look here:

http://www.rsdg.net/files/tutorials/lofting.htm

how to break the track into more sectors? only name the objects with its sector number at the beginning, thats all? or is it a setting in 3dmax?

greetz bec

Guest androS
how to break the track into more sectors? only name the objects with its sector number at the beginning, thats all? or is it a setting in 3dmax?

greetz bec

hi, actually I'm stuck on the 1st question too... I don't really know how to do it with 3dmax, whit Rhino is it easier.

I've learned whit the same tutorial as you, but try this one also http://pixel81k.abstract-design.ch/tutoria...rack/index.html (a very, very good one!), and please as fast as you know how to break the track into more sectors let me know wink.gif I would do the same if I where faster smile.gif

It would be great if we had some help from Outrunner, but he never does answer questions about trackediting on the forum sad.gif , why?

Outrunner, pleaseeeeee... hail.gif