What comes after 1.1 Full?

Guest Darcy Callai Jr

Guest Xamir

I think they also have another couple thingies in common: they are both market niches that require dedication and specific equipment.

BTW most "sims" out there are not true sims. They don't even try to be, they just tack the term on the product to give a certain image. But most players are only interested in immersion rather than realism, and get themselves high by deluding themselves into thinking they would be able to handle a high performance car on a RL track.

And that's concerning because both Markus and Kunos have been saying for enough time already that we realism buffs are not nearly enough to pay the bills, that they should charge us at least as much as iRacing does. Kunos even said once that even the hardcore crowd lacks the skill/knowledge to tell what is realistic from is not (and I'm not saying he's wrong, but I'm still finding worrisome to think of the implications of this pov)

It is pretty much clear that there have been steps taken to make netKar more accessible (some would say "dumbed down"). And while I do recognize this is in general a good idea (sifting through the casual and arcade-sim players in the hope some will turn into full-fledged realism junkies), a lot depends on how this is handled.

E.g. I look at LFS and see how mouse driving, unrealistic views and all that game-y cruft that LFS offers has done to that community. Mind you I don't have anything against mouse drivers provided they switch to a wheel sooner or later, but the LFS experience shows most of them will learn their own warped ways to drive a car and are very wary of switching to a wheel, and it's easy to understand why: they put a lot of time into developing that 'technique', and with a wheel - they would have to start again from scratch.

nKp now supports driving with alternative views and controllers, what keeps it from following the same path?

Flight and driving simulators are quite different. An aircraft pilot needs different things from a simulator: a realistic aeroplane performance, a good replica of the cockpit and so on. A good pc flight sim is a good compromise between a credible physic and aircraft's reproduced avionic and performance, the more expensive the sim is the better. I think only a stupid would think that only flight simming would anyhow allow anybody to fly a real plane without any training, no matter how realistic the physic is, but of course will teach you how to navigate or get yourself familiar with the plane systems or behaviours if it is a good replica.

This is to say that flight simming relies on many different things, not only on physic. If you only want to fly aerobatic, then XPlane is the right thing for you. If you like civil aviation then MSFS is surely better, if you like mil you get a wider choice.

Driving simulation is instead something that relies only on physic, the better it is the better the sim is. Now it may sound very stupid, but today while I was driving, I misjudged a corner, went in too fast on a wet mountain road and I had my FWD car suddenly oversteering. Well, I didn't panic: I simply countersteered and balanced the car with some gas. I only didn't have the sensibility to exactly feel when to neutralize again the steering so the car wasnt perfectly lined with the road as DriftKing would do, but it was to me something very natural to recover and stabilize again the car and I m sure that all the time I spend on the simulator helped me and saved both my life and the lives of the people with me in the car, as a spin would have probably meant to end on the guard rail and probably down the hill.

So of course driving sims won't give you the sensibility to feel a real race car neither a simmer would ever been able to judge how a behaviour or another would be realistic or not, but of course a good physic in a driving sim can help you a lot teaching your brain the way to react so that you don't lose your grip cause you don't know what to do.

I don't want to imagine what could have happened if instead of using nkp, rf or lfs I would use nfs or test drive unlimited: I would have probably done something wrong.

Believe it or not, but if today I m here writing again I owe it, mostly to God, but sim driving too helped.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kunos

• wildsurfer

• dido