Guest ChrisAW11 Posted July 28, 2004 Posted July 28, 2004 Hi, I've just started creating my own track, and already managed to do a few laps on it, but the lap counter always stayed where it was all the time - Lap1. I suppose there is some "lap start" entity of some kind? Can anybody help?
Guest Encio Posted July 28, 2004 Posted July 28, 2004 Try this: http://www.nkzone.com/download.asp?dl=34
Guest ChrisAW11 Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 Oh, I forgot to point out that I did read the Track Creation FAQ... And the only thing I could find in there was the INV_STARTPOINT1 entity, which of course I have in my track - perhaps I have made a mistake about placement (it's hovering about half a meter above the track) or something like that...
Guest ChrisAW11 Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 Oh, could it be that the thing needs different sections (I'm right now still editing the track layout here and there, so I haven't split it yet...)?
Guest mickyknox Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 Yeah, it registers a new lap when you enter section one, so in order to count laps you need to split it into at least two sectors Simon
Guest ChrisAW11 Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 Thanks for your help, guys! Now the only thing that remains bothering me is that I haven't figured out yet how to change the mapping settings for my lofts after I converted them to editable meshs... But I guess with the help of google the almighty, and given some time... Or did anybody have the same problem perhaps?
Guest Zykon Mancs Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 I had an idea, but i had no time to do it. Maybee I will. My question is: is it possible to create a track that beside the track has multiple ways on it? Like streets are. Cause i thought i made a track from my town (of course just a part). So is it possible to make a portion of a town, just for fun? There would be a way that's going around to numerate laps, but if driver wants, he can turns aside at any other street. Another question is that what's happening if the track size is very big? (I mean not the image files, i mean the size of track phisically.) If there is a lot of sections, will it make netKar fps low? Or only a section is loaded a time, and there could be hundreds of sections without slowing down the game's speed? Thx, Mancs
Jaap Wagenvoort Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 I remember outrunner stating that nK needs a lot of track sections in order to keep the fps down and that the game reads track sections upfront. So basically building a track with 3 sections will slow down nK whereas the same track divided in 100 sections would be much faster. Good luck! Could anyone of you maybe build some sort of small tutorial which step-by-step explains the building of a track?
Guest ChrisAW11 Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 I think regarding the multiple ways, it should work alright... I mean, basically a pit lane is another way, right? Usually they also go across different sections (since the pits are located between the last and the first section of the lap), so I guess there is quite a chance to get multiple ways done. But I haven't tried it myself yet.
Guest ChrisAW11 Posted July 29, 2004 Posted July 29, 2004 Well, short tutorial (and basically everything I have learned after two days of fooling around with 3DS-Max): You start by "lofting" the main racetrack - how this works is explained here: Loft tutorial Track creation by lofting tutorial If you name your track "01Road" and put a box somewhere on it called "INV_STARTPOINT1", you can export it to NetKar already and try driving on it (how the export works and what else you have to care about is very well explained in Encio's link: Link ). Since such a track gets pretty boring after some time (you always end up falling off the track, since you just can't estimate the corner), you will have to create some objects on the side of the road. My current way of doing this is by copying the track and moving the vertices (=cornerpoints) to the side of the road, then naming the result "01Grass"... I guess there might be a way to create the drivable part of the track in the first step with the loft, but I didn't figure that out yet. I think I've seen that method in a post by mickyknox somewhere, so he may help if you don't really like moving little dots to the side for hours and hours (which is what I did the entire night...)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now