GT Academy Road to Dubai 2012

VELOCIPEDE

With the 2012 Dubai 24 hour race fast approaching on 12-14th January, Nissan have published a “GT Academy: Road to Dubai” video serial that’s been broadcast on EuroSport since last September. These videos follow all the events of the 2011 GT Academy competitions in Europe and the USA, the racing careers and training of the eventual two winners and the preparations of the all-GT-Academy line-up, including GT Academy alumni Lucas Ordoñez and Jordan Tresson, for the gruelling 2012 race.

They’ve all been posted to the Internet by Nissan, so if you haven’t been able to follow along, now is a great time to get caught up. Stay tuned for more coverage of the 24 Hours of Dubai here on GTPlanet later this week!

This post has been promoted to an article

At 19:00 GMT the GT Academy drivers will take to the Dubai Autodrome track to qualify for the Dubai 24hrs. You can catch a live stream of the session on http://live.24hseries.com/ In the meantime, show your support for the GT Academy team by hitting the 'SHARE' button!

All fans of driving games should be aware of this by now, but today marks the start of a most unique race. A seat in the Dubai 24 Hours has been the ultimate prize in all GT Academy events to date but today, for the first time, the car is driven exclusively by GT Academy alumni – with 2011 winners Bryan Heitkotter and Jann Mardenborough joining Jordan Tresson and Lucas Ordoñez behind the wheel of the RJN Motorsports Nissan 370Z.

The team qualified in 4th in their SP2 class yesterday, with a best laptime of 2’10.850 and go into today’s race at 10.00 GMT (14.00 local) in 36th place on the overall grid. Fans of GT Academy might also like to keep their eyes out for the #12 AUH Motorsports Ferrari 458 (A6), driven by GT Academy judge Rob Barff and the #32 JRM Nissan GT-R GT3 (A6), driven by GT Academy and Signatech Nissan codrivers Alex Buncombe and Franck Mailleux.

Facts & Guides

• Car Number: 100
  • Class: SP2
  • Team Name: RJN Motorsports
  • Drivers: Lucas Ordoñez, Jordan Tresson, Bryan Heitkotter, Jann Mardenborough

Race Coverage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCoc_4zc2E

The Nissan PlayStation® GT Academy all-gamer team took a podium finish at the Dunlop 24 Hours of Dubai this afternoon, marking the end of the ‘Road to Dubai’ for the two 2011 winners, Jann Mardenborough and Bryan Heitkotter. They couldn’t have had more appropriate team-mates as they were joined by the 2008 and 2010 GT Academy winners, Lucas Ordoñez and Jordan Tresson in a 370Z race car.

It was Gran Turismo®5 expert turned real racing driver Jann Mardenborough who took the chequered flag after 24 hours of competitive racing where all four gamers showed their skills behind the wheel and brought home a race car without a trace of damage; an amazing feat after an endurance race.

“That was without doubt the weekend of my life,” said Mardenborough. “The only thing that compares to it is winning GT Academy last June. It feels like pure joy. This is just the first step for me and now I hope that my performance in Dubai can take me further.”

“I’m so pleased that we got a good result in our first international 24 hour race,” added Bryan Heitkotter. “We’ve worked hard during the last six months to get to this point and I would say to anyone who wants this as much as I did that you can reach your goals if you focus on them and work hard.”

The first winner of GT Academy, Lucas Ordoñez, started his international racing career in Dubai three years ago and so far his journey has taken him all the way to a class podium in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

“This is a great moment,” said Ordoñez. “We have really proved that GT Academy works as to get four gamers to a podium finish at this race is amazing. I am very impressed with my new team mates who have only been racing for six months. They came here and were fast, consistent and didn’t make any mistakes.”

“It was pretty tough in the car and 24 hours is a long time to have to hold it all together,” said second GT Academy winner, Jordan Tresson. “If any of us had made just one slip at any point during the race it could have been game over for us. I want to say well done to Jann and Bryan who were still bedroom gamers just one year ago.”

The boss of the RJN GT Academy team, Bob Neville, was delighted to see the graduates that he has trained achieving an incredible result today.

This is the first time that all four of my graduates have raced together so it is a special moment for me,” he said. “ I couldn’t have asked for two better guys when Jann and Bryan won the European and USA competitions last summer. Like Lucas and Jordan before them they came into this with their eyes and ears open and absorbed everything we taught them. It’s particularly nice that we should do this in Dubai as it was here three years ago that an idea formed by Darren Cox of Nissan and Mark Bowles of Sony Computer Entertainment really came to life. This race was the toughest test and they all passed with flying colours. I’m proud of them all and proud to be part of GT Academy.

Grande successo per la squadra di videogiocatori della GT Academy nella 24 Ore Dunlop di Dubai, dove il team sponsorizzato da PlayStation e Nissan è salito sul podio. I quattro piloti si sono tutti distinti per le proprie abilità al volante, con l'esperto di Gran Turismo 5 Jann Mardenborough capace di tagliare il traguardo con la vettura ancora immacolata e priva di graffi.

"Questa è stata senza dubbio la settimana più bella della mia vita", ha dichiarato Mardenborough. "Non c'è nulla di paragonabile, a parte la vittoria di GT Academy dello scorso giugno. È una gioia immensa. Ora sono solo all'inizio, ma spero che la mia prestazione qui a Dubai mi consenta di fare ancora molta strada".

"Sono contento che la squadra abbia ottenuto un buon risultato alla sua prima 24 Ore internazionale", ha aggiunto Bryan Heitkotter. "Negli ultimi sei mesi abbiamo lavorato sodo per arrivare a questo risultato e voglio dire a chiunque condivida questo sogno che, con la dedizione e il lavoro, è possibile raggiungere i propri obiettivi".

Il primo vincitore di GT Academy, Lucas Ordoñez, ha iniziato la sua carriera di pilota di livello internazionale a Dubai, tre anni fa, e il suo percorso l'ha portato a ottenere un podio di categoria alla 24 Ore di Le Mans.

"Questo è un grande momento", ha confessato Ordoñez. "Abbiamo dimostrato chiaramente che GT Academy funziona, perché portare quattro videogiocatori sul podio di questa gara è qualcosa di incredibile. Sono rimasto molto colpito dai miei nuovi compagni di squadra, che gareggiavano da appena due mesi. Si sono presentati qui e si sono dimostrati veloci e costanti, senza commettere errori".

"È dura dentro l'abitacolo e ventiquattro ore sono un lasso di tempo molto lungo in cui mantenere la concentrazione", ha aggiunto il vincitore della seconda edizione di GT Academy, Jordan Tresson. "Se uno di noi avesse fatto un solo errore nel corso della gara, sarebbe stata la fine. Voglio fare i miei complimenti a Jann e Bryan che, appena un anno, fa erano ancora dei piloti da salotto".

Il caposquadra della scuderia RJN GT Academy, Bob Neville, è molto soddisfatto per il risultato ottenuto dagli allievi che lui stesso ha formato. "Questa era la prima volta che i miei quattro allievi gareggiavano insieme, quindi per me è un momento speciale", ha spiegato. "Quando l'estate scorsa Jann e Bryan hanno vinto l'edizione europea e americana del concorso, ho conosciuto due ragazzi fantastici. Come Lucas e Jordan prima di loro, sono stati molto ricettivi, assorbendo ogni nostro insegnamento. Soprattutto, è bello che questo sia avvenuto proprio a Dubai, dove tre anni fa ha preso vita l'idea avuta da Darren Cox di Nissan e da Mark Bowles di Sony Computer Entertainment. Questa gara era la prova più dura, ma l'hanno superata alla grande. Sono orgoglioso di loro e sono orgoglioso di far parte di GT Academy".

fonte Multiplayer.it

• 2 weeks later...
Nissan PlayStation GT Academy are pleased to announce the 2012 race programme for our graduates Lucas Ordonez, Jordan Tresson and Jann Mardenborough.

Intercontinental Le Mans Cup LMP2 class champion Lucas Ordonez will drive the Greaves Motorsport Zytek Nissan in the European Le Mans Series and the Le Mans 24 Hours. Blancpain Endurance series GT4 winner Jordan Tresson is promoted to the LMP2 class, racing the Signatech Nissan in the new FIA World Endurance Championship and Le Mans and finally, Jann Mardenborough will compete in his first full season of racing in the Blancpain Endurance Series, driving RJN Motorsport's Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3.

Nissan Europe has today issued a press release detailing the campaigns their three GT Academy graduates will be driving in the 2012 season.

While last year we reported on a statement from Signatech Nissan’s team boss that Jordan Tresson would be joining Lucas Ordoñez at the team, Nissan’s announcement today says that Lucas has joined Greaves Motorsport. He will run an LMP2 campaign in the European Le Mans Series in their Zytek Nissan alongside Tom Kimber-Smith (who will be defending this title) and Alex Brundle. Lucas will also be driving the Le Mans 24 Hours for the team alongside Alex and his father Martin Brundle.

Jordan will indeed be driving for the Signatech team in 2012 in the FIA World Endurance Championship and will also have a seat in the Le Mans 24 Hours. The newest European GT Academy graduate Jann Mardenborough will be again driving for RJN Motorsport in a season of the Blancpain Endurance Series, driving the new Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3. There is no news yet on the 2012 schedule for GT Academy USA graduate Bryan Heitkotter. The full Nissan press release may be read here.

Fonte GTPlanet.net

• 2 weeks later...