"Niente input lag", dice Steve Hood

Guest Uff

Tra le tante discussioni compare sul forum ufficiale, una di quelle ricorrenti è sicuramente quella sull'input lag che alcuni riscontravano con F1 2010 e che si vede in alcuni video di F1 2011.

T4RG4 segnala come l'anno scorso la cosa dipendesse molto dal pc usato (e qui confermo: quando riesco ad usare le impostazioni hardware per la scheda audio, tutto fila liscio; se mi ritrovo ad usare software, invece, il ritardo lo sento eccome), mentre per il 2011 non dovrebbero esserci problemi di sorta.

The process from start to finish for gear-shifting in 2010 was somewhat slower than real life. This has been mentioned in the past and was implemented to balance the cars during mid-corner gear change. This is a side-effect we've overcome for 2011.

The throttle response. I believe there was a hardware/audio issue for some PC users in 2010 but it's also worth mentioning the OSD rev range. In Grid I think it's showing a range from Zero RPM but 2010 shows from ~3k RPM-10, 10-16, 16-18 and was made so to show more detail in the critical high-end RPM range, e.g. where all the power is in the current modern-day Formula One engines. So if you stamp the throttle from idle you won't see much of a pickup, visually, until the top-end of the range. I suspect this might confuse some people

Steering Lag - Not convinced by this one thus far. The pad, like all racing games, has a smoothing function to handle the fact you're driving a car at breakneck speeds. The wheel has no such smoothing function but you can of course setup most wheels to have different sensitivity levels, different lock values... making for a different steering speed/angle of rotation in the real-world and a different version on-screen. When it actually comes to response, we've had a look at the values being pumped out from the 360 version (as that's on my desk right now) and everything responds immediately and with great precision. I also wonder whether any frame-rate fluctuations at certain points of the track might be accounting for some discrepencies for PC users. Certainly when I'm running a dev build on PC (where the frame-rate suffers) I encounter moments of slow response. It's also fair to say that, due to the very peaky nature of the modern F1 engine you can often feel as though you have no throttle response low down the rev range. This almost comes across as turbo lag... but in the power band throttle reponse (measured by most as acceralation/car response) is instant. That's my experience playing 2011 over the past few months.

In risposta a questo video:

Seeing as he posted a video of someone else's play session I'm assuming he's talking about the visual difference. Which I accounted for earlier in the post. There is no lag on the steering input from the wheel.

There is no lag on the controller input but there has always been a map, which all games have. Nothing needs to be fixed but it might be altered. Without it most people would really struggle to get the power down when not using TC.
Edited by VELOCIPEDE