Need For Speed Shift 2: Unleashed

Guest Uff

A parte gli scherzi la "caratterizzazione sportiva" (mii si sente che ho letto il vocabolario) che fanno in shift delle macchine manca sia in GT5 che in FM3.

Senza parlare degli abitacoli upgradabili in racing....

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VELOCIPEDE

• speedpn

• Black Box

• baronesbc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Intanto arrivano diversi messaggi interessanti dagli SMS:

Right. These were low res heavily jpg compressed images to test functionality. They're also from a very old build. the game looks much better than that.

These were early WIP shots that were put up to test the website. They were never meant to go live. They've been removed now.

We've made huge strides in the physics for Shift 2. The elite mode is the best racing I've ever had. And yes, I'm from SMS, Rob can confirm that.

We read every forum pretty much. Initially it would get to us but we've learned that even those cursing us are at least giving us attention, showing some passion and have a desire for something that fills their niche so we take the rough with the smooth now.

We do try to please the community as much as we can within the remit's we're set. When you work for a publisher they do call the shots but EA are giving us more rope this time around and I think things have moved in the direction the community wants.

We do the permanent real life ad' boards as they appear on the real tracks, we have to for licensing purposes. We also add the temp ad's circuits have and these feed the IGA. I don't get why people get so pissed off about this. it adds a nice sense of speed to the racing.

Yup, lots of tuning. All cars can be upgraded all the way to Works level.

The handling is more challenging, and more fun IMO.

In risposta a chi chiedeva se ci fosse la possibilità di vedere un loro titolo senza che fossero vincolati da marchi precisi:

It's every dev's dream really. The problem is that top line games (ie those that compete with the competition) cost 10-25 million dollars. It's hard to get that together to own your own IP. We have some cool concepts though and all being well you'll be hearing of some new stuff from us starting soon.

Sul force feedback:

We've reworked the FFB so it transmits the effects directly from the steering column in a different way than before. It's a big improvement.

The stuttering didn't come up in testing. I don't have it on the 5 or so PC's I've had since we shipped so maybe it's an edge case. Is there any consensus on where it comes from, are others seeing it?

E una bella punzecchiattina a GT5!

We'd love to do a crazy sim with crazy sim features down to the fluid dynamic level. The problem is publishers don't want to pay for them right now. We're aiming to beat GT5 in the sim stakes on the consoles though this time.

Altre frasi interessanti, per esempio sull'engine fisico del primo Shift e di questo (in merito alle frequenze di lavoro e non solo):

Shift shipped with 360. We dropped it 40 Hz a few months before shipping as it fit our FPS multiplier better (and was a touch more efficient).

Shift 2:

The input files should show 180, and it ticks twice internally. For every 1 frame on console (at 30FPS) the physics engine updats 12 times. Jesse dropped a boob there.

Also, you have to consider what is updated at the given Hz. This makes direct comparisons between different engines difficult. We update the full suspension based on 3d node and arm positioning 360 times per second (no lookup tables) Same for tyres, no static slip curves.

The race and drift physics use the same system now. We have made changes to the input system and we bump the power a little in drift to make it possibly in lower powered cars, but apart from that, they now use the same code all the way.

We auto tune the car with more lock and the small power ramp I mentioned to allow lesser powered cars to at least manage to drift. You can go and make drift specific setups though for all cars.

We've improved the tuning system (setups) to make it more accessible.

30 FPS is console specific. I'm running a nice steady 60 on PC here. We have though completely rewritten the render to be deferred. This allows us multiple lights among other things but the ability of the engine to allow multiple shadows casting and cascading from all objects is where we're really pushing the limits with it. It will need a better PC than Shift but in exchange you get the best looking racer on PC (in our humble opinion) plus a physics engine running at 360Hz.

This area has all been transformed. We use real time reflections (at runtime fps) blended with an IBL sphere as well as dynamic AO and other trickery. We're pushing the limits of the consoles. The expectation is we'll use more than 95% of all the SPU power of the PS3 as well a maxing out the GPU and PPU.

E' stata annunciata la versione Limited del gioco, con qualche auto e diversi eventi in più. Amazon indica l'uscita del gioco il 31 Marzo.

Take the Pole Position with the Limited Edition

Pre-order SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED today to get your hands on the Limited Edition featuring exclusive bonus content with instant access to three additional cars

o the Nissan Silvia spec.R Aero (S15), Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV, and Lamborghini Murciélago LP640

o plus 40 new career events. Race in Single-Type events with all racers in the same car, battle in classic and modern versions of the same car in Old vs. New events, and engage in Manufacturer Showdowns with racers behind the wheel of different car makes and models.