• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VELOCIPEDE

• Teo 91

• Beppe83

• kunos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Turn 10's Forza series is known for providing a realistic racing experience. But it's always lacked that true sense of speed. For all the great damage modeling, the collisions didn't always deliver the visceral impact. That's probably not going to be an issue with Forza Motorsport 3. At least not from what I played. Forza 3 seems to have finally nailed that sense of speed and the collisions, well, you really feel them this time.

There was never an issue with control in Forza and Turn 10 hasn't done anything that would sully its reputation as one of the premier racing developers. There are a number of difficulty settings and plenty of driving assists that can be adjusted to create the perfect level of challenge for you. By the nature of being a simulation, Forza has always been a difficult game for casual racing fans to hop into. But there seems to be far more levels of challenge for the lower tier. While you're not going to turn Forza 3 into Burnout, there's no reason someone couldn't pick this up and have some fun.

That's in large part thanks to a new auto-braking assist. Even though you can have guide lines on the track showing you where to race and when to ease off the gas, many gamers lack the finesse necessary to ease a car going 150mph around a turn. The auto-braking should help for those who have always wanted to enjoy Forza, but don't want to worry about spinning out at every sharp turn.

But then there's also the new rewind functionality, which enables you to jump back five seconds in time to erase your mistakes. This isn't a feature new to racing games. Codemasters' Grid showcased a similar feature. But in Forza 3, it's more welcome. In Grid it was an "oops, I screwed up" button. And sure, I used it as a mulligan for when I slid out and slammed into a median. But really, the rewind function is going to be a learning tool because Forza 3 is all about the subtleties of accelerating and braking. And each car reacts differently, even if it's just in subtle ways. As a practice tool, rewinding is going to help you learn the right speed for a turn.

Forza 3 didn't disappoint: It feels faster and it looks beautiful. Look for a more in-depth preview of Forza 3 Tuesday evening.