What comes after 1.1 Full?

Guest Darcy Callai Jr

Guest lovretta

My toughts are that it won't be good plan to release free "major" patches for nkp anymore. I really really like netkar and i think if we don't support the project, by support i mean - money, i guess then we won't see it at all in future. Perhaps a minor patches would be good to adress some issues, correct some things.

On Osella thing, i don't know what to think. Purely up to a KS, will they release it or not.

But overall, i would say it's time for developement team to move on to completely new incarnation of nkp, for which we'll pay them some money.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kunos

• wildsurfer

• dido

Yup, but that's already almost 2 years old.

Granted, but a lot of it still seems to be relevant. Just this week there was a post regarding a BRD project about laser scanning, which's interesting as I think Singapore was created with GPS data, so even if we never see the results it's still useful to gain an insight on what's going on.

That's ironic, Scawen himself in August 2008 said sth along the lines of: "you won't drive this in a long time" biggrin.gif (and he hardly set any goal!)

I don't want to get into an argument (as LFS have a dedicated forum for that), but here are a few quotes from LFS News:

'The Scirocco will be released in Live for Speed at a later date which is not yet decided.' (Aug 18th, 2008)

'We are pleased to announce that we plan to release the new VW Scirocco in Live for Speed during the week ending Friday 19th December.' (Dec 11th, 2008)

'We plan to fix the bugs and continue developing the Scirocco suspension and electronic control systems, to give you a good patch early in 2009.' (Dec 15th, 2008)

All I'm trying to emphasise is that it's better to make announcements when things are actually ready, as in attempting to create positive publicity, it can quite quickly turn into negative.

On Osella thing, i don't know what to think. Purely up to a KS, will they release it or not.

Kunos has said before (in Italian so the translation may be incorrect) that content has already been blocked because of licence holders changing their mind. So what could he be talking about (if not the Osella/hillclimb add-on)?

Guest Hoshi

Kunos has said before (in Italian so the translation may be incorrect) that content has already been blocked because of licence holders changing their mind. So what could he be talking about (if not the Osella/hillclimb add-on)?

So this means the Osella will definitely never be a part of the public version of nKP? It would be nice if Kunos would clear up the situation for the english speaking part of the forum as well

So this means the Osella will definitely never be a part of the public version of nKP? It would be nice if Kunos would clear up the situation for the english speaking part of the forum as well

Well admittedly I'm reading between the lines, but it just seems unlikely that the Osella (created a few years ago now) would fail to appear unless there was some underlying issue. It's also fairly unlikely that an official response will be made and a lack of one can usually be interpreted as a no (meaning yes in regards to your question)blush.gif

Edited by CAR

Guest NightShift

Granted, but a lot of it still seems to be relevant. Just this week there was a post regarding a BRD project about laser scanning, which's interesting as I think Singapore was created with GPS data, so even if we never see the results it's still useful to gain an insight on what's going on.

Or maybe what's not going to be. Apparently everything BRD puts their hands on, won't end up in nKp :)

All I'm trying to emphasise is that it's better to make announcements when things are actually ready

I see several problems with your argument :)

1. You're talking about a very specific feature while I'm talking of a general plan

2. nKp and LFS are products with a different history, different community, etc. Basically the only thing they have in common is they are indie simracing products with a focus on realism (but even this focus takes different paths..)

3. When Scawen announced that feature (Scirocco) was to be released, it was actually ready. Then for some reason, he changed his mind. This is a big mistake but not one that comes from planning too much in advance.

Back to nKp, what I think Kunos Simulazioni should do some time in the future (it does not need to be today) is, come out and actually say if they're thinking to go for an entirely new (or extremely revised) sim and stop development on nKp 1.1, or they're going down the evolutionary path, and what will happen to our licenses. In the latter, will they be working on expanding features? content? both? or what else?

Personally I'm not a big fan of total rewrites: it takes a lot of time to see to put the rewrite out and feature parity takes even more. So I sincerely hope they won't make the mistake of scrapping nKp 1.1. Regardless, I accept it might be necessary for us to open our wallets again, as long as the offer is compelling enough, they won't need worry about that.

Apparently everything BRD puts their hands on, won't end up in nKp :)

Well if it wasn't for BRD the content wouldn't even exist in the first place, and you can also speculate that there currently might not even be an nKPro without them (judging by some of Kunos' posts on the old RSC forums).

On the other points, let's agree to disagree as I really don't want an argument (and I think there's an answer to your question). There was an interview in Italian, not with Kunos, but one of the other KS guys where it was said that nKPro would continue to evolve.

Edited by CAR

Guest NightShift

Well if it wasn't for BRD the content wouldn't even exist in the first place, and you can also speculate that there currently might not even be an nKPro without them (judging by some of Kunos' posts on the old RSC forums).

I'm sure there are pros, but unfortunately there are cons as well. Setting content aside for a moment, think about dashboards? you basically can't have one working legitimately because of the contract with BRD.

On the other points, let's agree to disagree as I really don't want an argument

The funny thing is I'm not even disagreeing with you, rather I felt you interpreted my wishing a roadmap in a way that was tighter than I intended it to be.

There was an interview in Italian, not with Kunos, but one of the other KS guys where it was said that nKPro would continue to evolve.

Is this the one you meant? http://www.simworld.it/?p=171

I just found that, didn't even know about it. This is the interesting bit:

Simworld.it: NetKar PRO 2 on the horizon?

M.Massarutto: (laughs)

Simworld.it: so is it a yes?

M.Massarutto: No, it wouldn't be fair to say we're working on NetKar PRO 2.

At the moment we are working on a new technology that relies on fundamentally different structure. I mean: NetKar PRO is born on the foundation of NetKar, a freeware project that grew on a daily basis without a predefined plan. NetKar PRO suffers because of this origin, because it's built like a house of cards. Sometimes indeed making a change that looks trivial requires very extensive testing.

The new technology is completely modular instead, so it's more advanced and extensible. It's obvious that this technology will be the basis for something (laughs) but at the moment it's too early to talk about that.

I'm subscribed to the DI newsletter but I didn't spot this interview until now. /THAT/ sucks.

Edited by NightShift

I'm sure there are pros, but unfortunately there are cons as well. Setting content aside for a moment, think about dashboards? you basically can't have one working legitimately because of the contract with BRD.

Dashboards? Someone did ask about a motion simulator plugin, and was told that BRD has the exclusive on that.

The funny thing is I'm not even disagreeing with you, rather I felt you interpreted my wishing a roadmap in a way that was tighter than I intended it to be.

I wrote a reply but thought it was a bit repetitive (so didn't post it).

I just found that, didn't even know about it.

That's one of the interviews. The slightly disappointing revelation (it may have been in another article) was that there are no plans to pursue netBike, because the market's lacking input devices or something. It's really enjoyable just with a 360 controller, so anything else would be a bonus (as apposed to a necessity).

Guest Xamir

I got nkp for the last 3 years and after I tried it I never played any other driving sim. I d be only interested in trying iRacing, but looks too expensive for my tastes.

So if a nkp 2 is at the "horizon" i d defintevely buy it.

There's a plenty of tracks to race on at the moment and if you join a championship you can easily get others. Regarding the cars, there's no doubt that you can easily choose your favourite. Is somebody really missing F1?

So what I would really like to see in this sim? Full servers and people respecting racing rules after joining a server, so to not be more concentrated on looking at the mirrors to avoid the idiot behind, unable to keep a safe braking distance, rather than looking ahead. I d like not to see drivers entering the track on the racing line after a spin or tryin to overtake everybody at the very first corner, crashing the fun of everyone on the track. Will this ever happen?

Apparently everything BRD puts their hands on, won't end up in nKp :)

Very true, very true.

However, we haven't been involved with BRD since October 2008 and their (solid) work is based on a 1.0.3 branch.

I don't think it's worth to talk about the future now, it's pretty much a moving target for us.. and the deadlines are firing at alarming rate here in KS. We've something pretty exciting coming up in the next 2 months.