beh? che dicono i rookie? :-) - Page 7 - iRacing Motorsport Simulations - DrivingItalia.NET simulatori di guida Jump to content

beh? che dicono i rookie? :-)

oppolo

Guest AsterX

Giusto per aggiungere un paio di pareri, riporto un post di Alison Hine, che ne riprende uno di un'altro tizio. ;)

Pat Dotson wrote:

I attended a Spec Racer Ford driving school years ago. I had the typical sim-racer approach to learning a track where you over-drive the car to find the limit, then back it off to the limit. I wasn't going off the track or anything, just driving in a little too deep and missing the apex now and then - just not hitting the lines precisely. The instructor was not impressed, and let me know it after the first session. Real life drivers can't take that approach and be successful.

One thing they stressed to us is that you can't go into the corners with the clutch dis-engaged. The car gets real loose if you do that. So one time I went into the high-speed turn with the clutch disengaged. I was downshifting and didn't get it back into gear in time. The rear of the car got real light but I didn't even come close to spinning. I actually ran a pretty good line through the turn. Regardless, I was black flagged and had to pull in the pits.

Point is, nothing I did was close to being as reckless as what occurs constantly in iRacing.

Yet, everyone complains about incidents for putting a wheel off or whatever. I tell you now, if you spun a car at that racing school more than once they would have showed you the door. If you were putting wheels off the track more than once or twice you would have been black flagged.

As for me with iRacing, I'm generally getting what I would have considered a ridiculous number of incident points on road courses. But my safety rating is at 4.7 or 4.8 right now, and is generally rising. I really don't think the incident scoring is overly restrictive.

Hear, hear, Pat! Very well said.

When I attended the Skip Barber school many years ago, the attitude of the instructors was much the same. For every on-track session, the instructors each went out to a different corner to watch. Afterwards, on the way in, they'd compare notes. If you were seen dropping a wheel off anywhere, you were considered to be driving over your head, and you'd hear about it from your instructor, in no uncertain terms. If you spun or even got a little wild, they'd be all over you.

After getting chewed out a few times, you learned to behave and drive cleanly and within your limits.

I found iRacing's two wheels off nags annoying at first, too, but once I adjusted my mind set to this new context, I found that the whole incident system makes the iRacing experience much more like real world racing than any other sims.

In the real world, if you drive over your head or do something stupid, there are consequences. Historically, in sims, there aren't, so we've gotten used to driving and behaving in ways that differed from the way we would in the real world.

Now iRacing has added consequences to the elements of sim racing which replicate the real world experience. IMHO, this is a huge advance. But we have to accept it and adjust to it. This can take some time, but I believe it's worth it. Very much so.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oppolo

• AleRX7

• Vaillant

• libks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ pigrizia_mode_on] Chi si sobbarcherebbe l'onere di tradurre il pezzo? Anche a la .... "grandi linee"? :help: [pigrizia_mode_on_...]

Guest Dinix
[ pigrizia_mode_on] Chi si sobbarcherebbe l'onere di tradurre il pezzo? Anche a la .... "grandi linee"? :help: [pigrizia_mode_on_...]

Se non c'

Edited by Dinix

Guest Dinix

non ho tempo di tradurlo alla lettera ma ti faccio un riassuntino:

Pat dce che ha partecipato tempo fa ad una speciale scuola guida della ford e quando ha iniziato a guidare ha usato il tipico approccio da sim-racer per affrontare il tracciato cercando subito di trovare il limite e poi superarlo. Non