RaceEssentials & Sidekick by Topuz

VELOCIPEDE

3aL6dUR.png

It's my pleasure to gift the community RaceEssentials, an all-encompassing app I've been working on lately. I've tailored it to bring together a large number of relevant data and to display it logically and clearly. The app monitors over 30 useful parameters crucial for almost every type of driving session. AB track types as well as classic circuit tracks are fully supported. I also have to thank Jorge Alves, who wasn't directly involved in the app development, but his StatsBar Plus app inspired me to make this one and I had a look or two in his code to figure out some logic.

Download the app at RaceDepartment:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/raceessentials.10016/

A quick overview of how the app works and what it's capable of:
1. Gear, goes red when near limiter.
2. Speed, can be set to either kph or mph.
3. Rpm, graphical and numerical, goes red when near limiter.
4. Turbo boost, graphical and numerical.
5. KERS, graphical and numerical. The bar is green when stored energy is currently in use, otherwise it's blue.
6. ABS, Traction Control and DRS indicators.
7. Current lap time, goes red when lap is invalid.
8. Current ambient and track temperatures.
9. Last lap time, goes red when last lap was invalid.
10. Best lap time, only displayed if best lap was valid.
11. Personal best lap time, only valid laps are saved (per track/car combo).
12. Tyre info area; the bar on the right represents tyre wear scaled from 94% to 100% and colored accordingly from red to green, similar to official Kunos app (below 94% the bar remains its minimum size). Tyre slip is also shown here, the bars go darker when slip ratio increases. Tyre wear values (can be toggled), core temperature values (currently only in Celsius) and pressures (currently only in psi) are displayed on the left of each tyre and colored accordingly.
13. Delta best and delta personal best using normalized spline position and interpolation (original idea and implementation by Erwin Schmidt). Various checks are implemented to avoid erratic behavior and to maximize accuracy. Click or press Alt + D to switch between best and personal best delta.
14. Delta bar (shows whether you're losing or gaining time at the particular moment).
15. Current position in the ongoing event.
16. Current lap number and total laps number.
17. Clutch, brake and gas pedal bars, together with FFB clipping bar, basically a pedals app clone.
18. Remaining time in a session, goes red when under 5 minutes, plus a real life clock.
19. Fuel information area with current fuel level, consumption per lap, how many laps are left in the tank and how much fuel is required to complete the race (red if insufficient). Consumption per lap works after the first completed lap and keeps track of all previous laps, not only the last one. If the driver topped up during the lap, that lap will be ignored.
20. Current track grip.
21. Tyre compound short name along with optimal compound temperatures or pressures (click or press Alt + C to toggle).

A quick FAQ (please read before posting in the support thread):
Q: How do I install this app?
A: Unpack the contents of the zip file in your AC install directory and enable it in Settings. Then, once on the track, turn it on from the vertical apps menu on the right.

Q: I've enabled the app in Settings and turned it on in the apps menu but it's not working.
A: Try one of the following:
- Disable all apps in Settings except RaceEssentials and see if it works (if that works, start re-enabling apps one by one to see which one was at fault)
- From Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg folder delete python.ini file, and enable only RaceEssentials in settings (again, if that works, start re-enabling apps one by one to see which one was at fault)
- If none of the above worked: delete python.ini file (yes, again), delete the entire apps folder (backup it first just in case) from your AC install directory (often found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa) and run Steam integrity check. After that, reinstall RaceEssentials only and try if it works. If all is ok, only then start adding back one by one the apps you previously had.
- Ultimately if it's still broken, open console while in game by pressing Home key on your keyboard and paste any errors in the support thread.

Q: What can I customize?
A: If you open config.py in apps/python/RaceEssentials you'll find several customizable parameters including scaling, mph/kph toggle, opacity, centralized gear option...

Q: My KERS value displays 100% left although the car doesn't have KERS.
A: There is a bug in AC when reporting KERS charge, I tried to work around it, but if you click the KERS button, the graph will sometimes show full charge. Otherwise it should be fine, with a minor kink that the KERS Charge is displayed only after it's been actually used.

Q: ABS, TC and DRS are not realtime?
A: They indicate if the respective systems are on or off, no way to tell if they're in use at the precise moment or if you're in DRS range unfortunately, Kunos pls? clear.png

Q: Mod cars don't have colored temperature and pressure values?
A: I have no way of knowing the ideal temperature and pressure values for non-Kunos cars. You can, however, add this info yourself as long as the mod car provides a tyre short name (S, M, H...) by making an *.ini file in compounds folder. An example (using RSR Formula 3) is provided. The *.ini file must have the same name as the car folder in content/cars and must follow the structure provided in the example.

Q: Delta is not shown?
A: You're either on an outlap, you've visited the pit in the current lap or you haven't done a valid lap yet to compare with.

Q: Can I transfer my PB folder to/from Sidekick?
A: Yes!

Version history:

RaceEssentials 1.4.3
- Added all Tripl3 Pack car data to ideal temperatures and pressures list (+Audi A1 S1)
- Entering pit lane now invalidates both lap time and relevance for fuel calculations
- Slightly improved outlap detection
- Updated the shared memory Sim Info with the new AC 1.8 parameters

===============================================================================================

aip4p7u.png

After spending a lot of time developing RaceEssentials, I wanted to try a different approach to see how it will work out. This time, I give you Sidekick, a discreet but powerful app. I've learned a lot about AC app development in the past several months and wanted to see how far I can take it. The goal was to make an app with essential data that won't be in your way, but it's still very useful, powerful and adaptable.

Sidekick 1.11.1

- Added all Ferrari Pack car data to ideal temperatures and pressures list
- Several other bug fixes and tweaks

6x1tUQZ.gif

Besides the always visible stuff (gear, speed and rpm light), the app is divided into five sections, contents of which can be switched either by mouse or by keyboard (Alt + A to switch between sections, Alt + S to toggle available data in the selected section).

First section is timings. Here, you can toggle current lap time, last lap time, best lap time and personal best lap time. Of course, keeping with tradition of RaceEssentials, lap validity is monitored and personal best laps are saved accross sessions.

Second section is deltas. You're provided with advanced delta calculation using normalized spline position and interpolation, and you can toggle between delta best and delta personal best. There's also a delta pacing indicator, showing you whether you're gaining or losing time at any particular moment.

Third section is lap number and current position. Pretty simple and self-explanatory.

Fourth section is handling fuel info. You're provided with current fuel amount, and after you complete a lap, you'll be able to check consumption per lap and how many laps you'll be able to complete. If you're in a race, you'll also have info how much fuel you need to finish the race, and if you're short, how much you need to top up.

Fifth section is all about tyres. You can toggle between tyre wear, tyre temperatures, tyre pressures and ideal values for the compound in use. The app knows ideal temperatures and pressures for all the cars currently available in Assetto Corsa and will color them accordingly.

Besides these five sections, there are also so-called "Dominant events", where all the sections will be hidden temporarily to get your maximum attention on the message. Currently, dominant events are: major FFB clipping (the app won't bother you unless it's really significant), setting a best time, setting a personal best time and "session is soon about to end" notification.

A quick FAQ (please read before posting in the support thread):
Q: How do I install this app?
A: Unpack the contents of the zip file in your AC install directory and enable it in Settings. Then, once on the track, turn it on from the vertical apps menu on the right.

Q: I've enabled the app in Settings and turned it on in the apps menu but it's not working.
A: Try one of the following:
- Disable all apps in Settings except Sidekick and see if it works (if that works, start re-enabling apps one by one to see which one was at fault)
- From Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg folder delete python.ini file, and enable only Sidekick in settings (again, if that works, start re-enabling apps one by one to see which one was at fault)
- If none of the above worked: delete python.ini file (yes, again), delete the entire apps folder (backup it first just in case) from your AC install directory (often found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa) and run Steam integrity check. After that, reinstall Sidekick only and try if it works. If all is ok, only then start adding back one by one the apps you previously had.
- Ultimately if it's still broken, open console while in game by pressing Home key on your keyboard and paste any errors in the support thread.

Q: What can I customize?
A: If you open config.py in apps/python/Sidekick you'll find several customizable parameters including scaling, mph/kph toggle, opacity, tyre wear scale, rpm light thresholds...

Q: Roadmap for the future?
A: Bug hunting, further optimizations...

A: There is a bug in AC when reporting KERS charge, I tried to work around it, but if you click the KERS button, the graph will sometimes show full charge. Otherwise it should be fine, with a minor kink that the KERS Charge is displayed only after it's been actually used.

Q: Mod cars don't have colored temperature and pressure values?
A: I have no way of knowing the ideal temperature and pressure values for non-Kunos cars. You can, however, add this info yourself as long as the mod car provides a tyre short name (S, M, H...) by making an *.ini file in compounds folder. An example (using RSR Formula 3) is provided. The *.ini file must have the same name as the car folder in content/cars and must follow the structure provided in the example.

A: You're either on an outlap, you've visited the pit in the current lap or you haven't done a valid lap yet to compare with.

Q: Does this mean RaceEssentials is dead?
A: No.

Q: Can I transfer my PB folder to/from RaceEssentials?
A: Yes!

Edited by VELOCIPEDE

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VELOCIPEDE

• MaoZeTung

• survivor91

• Davidec17

ht8w84.png

It's my pleasure to gift the community RaceEssentials, an all-encompassing app I've been working on lately. I've tailored it to bring together a large number of relevant data and to display it logically and clearly. The app monitors over 30 useful parameters crucial for almost every type of driving session. AB track types as well as classic circuit tracks are fully supported. I also have to thank Jorge Alves, who wasn't directly involved in the app development, but his StatsBar Plus app inspired me to make this one and I had a look or two in his code to figure out some logic.

1. Gear, goes red when near limiter.

2. Speed, can be set to either kph or mph.

3. Rpm, graphical and numerical.

4. Turbo boost, graphical and numerical.

5. KERS, graphical and numerical. The bar is green when

stored energy is currently in use, otherwise it's blue.

6. ABS, Traction Control and DRS indicators.

7. Current lap time, goes red when lap is invalid.

8. Last lap time, goes red when last lap was invalid.

9. Best lap time, only displayed if best lap was valid.

10. Personal best lap time, only valid laps are saved (per track/car combo).

11. Tyre info area; the bar on the right represents tyre wear scaled from 94% to 100% and colored accordingly from red to green, similar to official Kunos app (below 94% the bar remains its minimum size). Core temperature values (currently only in Celsius) and pressures (currently only in psi) are displayed on the left of each tyre. Also, the tyre compound short name is displayed in the middle.

12. Delta best and delta personal best using normalized spline position and

interpolation (original idea and implementation by Erwin Schmidt). Various checks are implemented to avoid erratic behavior and to maximize accuracy. Click the label to switch between best and personal best delta.

13. Current position in the ongoing event.

14. Current lap number and total laps number.

15. Clutch, brake and gas pedal bars, together with FFB clipping bar, basically a pedals app clone.

16. Remaining time in a session, goes red when under 5 minutes, plus a real life clock.

17. Fuel information area with current fuel level, consumption per lap, how many laps are left in the tank and how much fuel is required to complete the race (red if insufficient). Consumption per lap works after the first completed lap and keeps track of all previous laps, not only the last one. If the driver topped up during the lap, that lap will be ignored.

A quick FAQ:

Q: Roadmap for the future?

A: Delta pacing (gaining or losing time), scaling parameter (a tedious work I wasn't smart enough to do from the start), tyre temperature colors (if I manage to collect enough relevant data, see below), bug hunting, further optimizations...

Q: ABS, TC and DRS are not realtime?

A: They indicate if the respective systems are on or off, no way to tell if they're in use at the precise moment or if you're in DRS range unfortunately, Kunos pls? clear.png

Q: Why no tyre coloring according to temperature but only the numerical value?

A: I've had trouble finding the official optimal tyre temperatures for each tyre type. Also, we only have access to core temperatures and no info how the V7 Kunos tyre app actually mixes all the available temperatures to deduce exact color. Until we get more info, or until I get much better at guessing, it will remain like this.

Q: Total number of cars is not shown during online sessions?

A: Nope. AFAIK there's no way to get actual cars on track number while online, only maximum server slots.

Version history:

v0.8.4

- A possible fix for people who only had gear indicator displayed

- Added a small delay for updating lap times when crossing the finish line to make sure the correct info has arrived before updating

- Various delta tweaks to ensure no nonsense values are stored or displayed

- Lap number doesn't increment on race finish

- Total number of cars on track is now displayed corretcly when online

- A tiny fix for fuel consuption to make it even more accurate

- Updated the shared memory Sim Info with the new AC 1.5 parameters

v0.8.3

- A workaround for the AC maxRpm shared memory bug

- Tiny change for delta display when crossing the finish line

v0.8.2

- Ensuring the Sim Info instance is private to avoid conflicts with other apps

v.0.8.1

- Small change for delta display when crossing the finish line

v0.8

- Initial release

fonte AC forum

Bella apps speriamo l'abbiano migliorata perchè con la versione 0.8.3 ho avuto grossi problemi di blocco immagine durante il gioco.

• 2 weeks later...

E' diventata la mia app preferita e la sto utilizzando al posto della StatsBarPlus. Peccato che a volte durante l'inizio di una sessione fa andare in crash il gioco, ma succede raramente

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...