McLaren GT3: come creare la skin Gulf

VELOCIPEDE

fonte AC forum

I present to you the 2013 Gulf Racing LLE (Live Learning Experience) Livery

preview_original-jpg.8712

This skin has been created not only for enjoyment of the Assetto Corsa community, but also for growth and learning. It is based on the Number 9 car of the 2013 Gulf Racing team during preseason testing. This gives you the ability to add onto what is currently present. Although a complete livery, there are still many features that can be added, but I want you to implement those and make it yours! I have documented every step of skinning process below. You can follow along, read ahead, skim though it, or whatever you wish. I guarantee that you will learn a thing or two! The download includes every file and PSD used in the creation of the livery.

DOWNLOAD McLaren Gulf Racing 2013 LLE

I look forward to seeing more McLaren GT3 liveries out there!

-------------------

Hey, I guess I'll do the last Blancpain skin that hasn't been claimed since v0.6.5. (well, there is 1 or 2 more. I won't reveal those yet.)

Gulf Racing
gulf-racing-aragon-test-2013-jpg.8598

If anyone is currently working on this I urge you to continue. Contact me and we can work together. If you have not started working on this skin just expect a good release for those who want to take it around the track and fellow MP4 GT3 skinners alike clear.png
Once I am done I'll consider releasing all the source materials so y'all can take a peek at how skinning works if you are interested. If anyone has any ideas on how you want to be more of a part of this and learn more about skinning please leave a post.

Ok. I have decided to go through this one step by step, or at least try to.

1. I have opened the template file for the McLaren GT3, located in the dev folder. On to a new beginning! In this skin I will attempt to complete it as a 4k skin. The default skin size is 2k. This allows for better resolution, like upgrading to a better monitor for example.
7nKwuqS.png
My first agenda is to get some reference pictures from the internet.

In the car template I put in a single layer for each of the base car colors. On this case they are orange, black, and blue. I sampled those colors from a reference image. I used Black RGB 11 11 11. I plan to paint half of the car and then copy/paint/adjust to the other half.

2. I have made rough outline of where the colors are on the car. It is evident that the base layer is blue. For the orange and black I decided that it would be better if the orange is on top. That was a personal choice. I can think of at least 2 other ways of going about it. Note that I am using the PEN TOOL and paths. It can save hours on a single project.
You can notice that the black parts of the car are actually purple right now. That is simply because the color Black makes seeing other things like the wireframe difficult. We just put an FX on the layer (color overlay).
You will see a few layers called finder. This was made with the rectangle tool. If I need to find a piece of the car i want to paint then I cover half of the car with the Finder layer. If my piece is pink (in this case) then I reduce the Finder by 50% towards an edge or corner. I check it in-game again and repeat the process it the color is/isn't present. If Finder dies not cover the piece then I relocate Finder to the other half of the zone in question and THEN reduce it by 50%. Takes practice to get it going efficiently.
YNj1tOt.png

3. I have moved to more fine details of the base paint. Here I am working on the nose of the car. Due to the 3D shape it gets kinda interesting. Try it and you will see. The way I am combating it is by making nodes on the path and using the wire frame as my straight line ruler. Adjust, check in showroom, adjust, showroom, etc. Life of a skinner I guess.
kdatEdN.png

4. The bumper is unfinished, but my eyes need a rest. I will now straighten out the hood, but leave it unaligned. That is because I dont know how much the bumper will move left to right later. I am using a 4k template by the way. Just resize the template by 200% before you start.
bbNiL9v.png

5. Spending lots of time lining up the door. Pixels at a time. I am pretty close now though.
vkhlssm.png

6. Spent time on the rear of the car where the colors meet. Quite time intentensive. I am within 20 pixels of adjustments and ill be done with the rear.
83jsKsV.png
Oh, and I have to color that vent black. Now, where can it be....?

7. Ok. Now the rear bumper panel is completely done. Forever. Awesome.
9HvgE4P.png

So the base paint that we have left is the alignment for the front bumper, hood, and roof. That will require us to use a better camera. Off to the track!

8. And we are back. Took quite a while. Looks great! As you can see I made the trim too. The technique I used was after I was done with the orange bits I copied the path to the Black Layer. Then I expanded the sides one at a time a certain number of pixels. Look! We are almost done!
VCVhYkk.png
The things we still have on out list are the number plates, logos, and some small touch ups.

9.We almost forgot the rear scoop. Got it.
62Bgwcd.png

10. Copied all of the stuff from one side to the other! I am pretty sure we are now done with the base paint layer. Nice!
9f0SkkZ.png

Now logos, name plates, banners, and interior stuff is left. Here is what the template looks like.
TrMVCu3.png

11. Number plates have been added. Man was this tough. I think that this one was a combination of experience and time. Moving and checking. Checking and moving. Great result though. In the template the hood and the body panel are not only split, but are of slightly different scale. Something that is worth looking at in the PSD.
3b8Tpxr.png

12. I have moved on to the rear wing and here is the result. I had to make the gulf logo by hand as there were no sources online that could get the job done. I used the PEN TOOL to get the logo image.
wd8a68m.png
Now I will adjust the alpha so that the logo can be seen clearly.

13. I adjusted the alpha which was pretty tricky. Here is how it looks.

QdRYaZA.png
The first attempt left very rough edges. It was due to my rather unfortunate first try customizing the alpha. I doubled the size of the texture to make it smoother.
It look like we are done..... Let's call this the pre-season test Gulf Racing McLaren Mp4-12C GT3.

14. Extremely basic livery icon. Simple.
Y6X4VZD.png
We will have to wait until tomorrow for the exciting conclusion. Who knows? I may show you something that you may not have thought possible.

15. Day 2
Ok, we have finished all the body work. I won't be putting logos on this one because it is the Pre-Season Version of the Gulf Racing #9. If that were not the case there would be Michilen/Pereli logos and tires on the car.
5w2A9AL.png
There is a sneak peak at the 24 files that look like they can add something the car. I might be lucky if half of them work and look good at the same time clear.png I usually move from the known towards the unknown.

I like to use vibrant colors so I can quickly see what I have changed. After I identify the piece I then change it to my liking. Cannot have more than 25 images in a post right now so I cannot show you all the PSD screenshots of what the interior stuff looks like. You can check them out later on.

-Brake Caliper coloration.
7OUWGbq.png

-Harness coloration
-Stitching
-Racing seat fabric cover. Looks pretty cool in game.
-Rear Grid. I had a little more trouble seeing this one.
-Front Grill and Rear lower Grid
-Speakers
-Racing seat shoulder protection. I had to look in game for this one. I have never seen this type of fabric placement before.
-Steering wheel grips
-Dashboard leather
That pretty much rounds up the textures that I am quite familiar with from my interior and hardware utility packs.

The plastic pieces on the outside were interesting. I spent a lot of time on that one.

Here are the latch arrows that will go on the car. After checking the car it looks like I have painted over them with the blue pain. It will be a design decision. Do I want the grey latches with the red arrow? Do I want blue latches with red arrow? Do I want grey latches with no arrow? Etc. From reference pics it looks like we might opt for the red arrow on blue latch.
WOHoT1f.png

18. Working on the window banner.
kmeYIrD.png

19. Now that the banner is done I will have to modify it so that you can see it from the inside of the car. They use two different textures. I will have to modify another alpha layer so this may take some time.
0w1RGDo.png

Here is what it looks like from the outside.
bxeTRCB.png
For the inside you will have to drive it and take a peek yourself clear.png
Both look great.

Using the Finder layer we learn a few things here. The hood latches are a part of the livery paint file, but are not represented in the wireframe. Could this mean that I can modify the latch alpha on the other file? Let's see.
1YHWQVW.png

20. I spend a lot of time with the latch arrows and the Pull you see here. Both had to be done directly on the car template. I had to take a look at a few of the AC default cars to see how they did it.
pcav6bM.png
Aerial is a great font type to use for most things. It is amazing.

21. Hey, look at that! We are finally very close do finished. What is next you ask?
Well now that everything with the car is done we need to take some action shots and the preview screenshots. Not to mention putting a few miles of this new livery whoo! This might take a while clear.png
CCYxaWb.png

22. It has been quite a journey! Here we are!
uWStk51.png
The only thing left to do is zip everything up, put it on mediafire.com so people can download it, and then post some screenshots for those guys over in the 'Screenshots' section of the forum!

~Bailey

Edited by VELOCIPEDE

I present to you the 2013 Gulf Racing LLE (Live Learning Experience) Livery

preview_original-jpg.8712

This skin has been created not only for enjoyment of the Assetto Corsa community, but also for growth and learning. It is based on the Number 9 car of the 2013 Gulf Racing team during preseason testing. This gives you the ability to add onto what is currently present. Although a complete livery, there are still many features that can be added, but I want you to implement those and make it yours! I have documented every step of skinning process below. You can follow along, read ahead, skim though it, or whatever you wish. I guarantee that you will learn a thing or two! The download includes every file and PSD used in the creation of the livery.

DOWNLOAD McLaren Gulf Racing 2013 LLE

I look forward to seeing more McLaren GT3 liveries out there!

-------------------

Hey, I guess I'll do the last Blancpain skin that hasn't been claimed since v0.6.5. (well, there is 1 or 2 more. I won't reveal those yet.)

Gulf Racing
gulf-racing-aragon-test-2013-jpg.8598

If anyone is currently working on this I urge you to continue. Contact me and we can work together. If you have not started working on this skin just expect a good release for those who want to take it around the track and fellow MP4 GT3 skinners alike clear.png
Once I am done I'll consider releasing all the source materials so y'all can take a peek at how skinning works if you are interested. If anyone has any ideas on how you want to be more of a part of this and learn more about skinning please leave a post.

Ok. I have decided to go through this one step by step, or at least try to.

1. I have opened the template file for the McLaren GT3, located in the dev folder. On to a new beginning! In this skin I will attempt to complete it as a 4k skin. The default skin size is 2k. This allows for better resolution, like upgrading to a better monitor for example.
7nKwuqS.png
My first agenda is to get some reference pictures from the internet.

In the car template I put in a single layer for each of the base car colors. On this case they are orange, black, and blue. I sampled those colors from a reference image. I used Black RGB 11 11 11. I plan to paint half of the car and then copy/paint/adjust to the other half.

2. I have made rough outline of where the colors are on the car. It is evident that the base layer is blue. For the orange and black I decided that it would be better if the orange is on top. That was a personal choice. I can think of at least 2 other ways of going about it. Note that I am using the PEN TOOL and paths. It can save hours on a single project.
You can notice that the black parts of the car are actually purple right now. That is simply because the color Black makes seeing other things like the wireframe difficult. We just put an FX on the layer (color overlay).
You will see a few layers called finder. This was made with the rectangle tool. If I need to find a piece of the car i want to paint then I cover half of the car with the Finder layer. If my piece is pink (in this case) then I reduce the Finder by 50% towards an edge or corner. I check it in-game again and repeat the process it the color is/isn't present. If Finder dies not cover the piece then I relocate Finder to the other half of the zone in question and THEN reduce it by 50%. Takes practice to get it going efficiently.
YNj1tOt.png

3. I have moved to more fine details of the base paint. Here I am working on the nose of the car. Due to the 3D shape it gets kinda interesting. Try it and you will see. The way I am combating it is by making nodes on the path and using the wire frame as my straight line ruler. Adjust, check in showroom, adjust, showroom, etc. Life of a skinner I guess.
kdatEdN.png

4. The bumper is unfinished, but my eyes need a rest. I will now straighten out the hood, but leave it unaligned. That is because I dont know how much the bumper will move left to right later. I am using a 4k template by the way. Just resize the template by 200% before you start.
bbNiL9v.png

5. Spending lots of time lining up the door. Pixels at a time. I am pretty close now though.
vkhlssm.png

6. Spent time on the rear of the car where the colors meet. Quite time intentensive. I am within 20 pixels of adjustments and ill be done with the rear.
83jsKsV.png
Oh, and I have to color that vent black. Now, where can it be....?

7. Ok. Now the rear bumper panel is completely done. Forever. Awesome.
9HvgE4P.png

So the base paint that we have left is the alignment for the front bumper, hood, and roof. That will require us to use a better camera. Off to the track!

8. And we are back. Took quite a while. Looks great! As you can see I made the trim too. The technique I used was after I was done with the orange bits I copied the path to the Black Layer. Then I expanded the sides one at a time a certain number of pixels. Look! We are almost done!
VCVhYkk.png
The things we still have on out list are the number plates, logos, and some small touch ups.

9.We almost forgot the rear scoop. Got it.
62Bgwcd.png

10. Copied all of the stuff from one side to the other! I am pretty sure we are now done with the base paint layer. Nice!
9f0SkkZ.png

Now logos, name plates, banners, and interior stuff is left. Here is what the template looks like.
TrMVCu3.png

11. Number plates have been added. Man was this tough. I think that this one was a combination of experience and time. Moving and checking. Checking and moving. Great result though. In the template the hood and the body panel are not only split, but are of slightly different scale. Something that is worth looking at in the PSD.
3b8Tpxr.png

12. I have moved on to the rear wing and here is the result. I had to make the gulf logo by hand as there were no sources online that could get the job done. I used the PEN TOOL to get the logo image.
wd8a68m.png
Now I will adjust the alpha so that the logo can be seen clearly.

13. I adjusted the alpha which was pretty tricky. Here is how it looks.

QdRYaZA.png
The first attempt left very rough edges. It was due to my rather unfortunate first try customizing the alpha. I doubled the size of the texture to make it smoother.
It look like we are done..... Let's call this the pre-season test Gulf Racing McLaren Mp4-12C GT3.

14. Extremely basic livery icon. Simple.
Y6X4VZD.png
We will have to wait until tomorrow for the exciting conclusion. Who knows? I may show you something that you may not have thought possible.

15. Day 2
Ok, we have finished all the body work. I won't be putting logos on this one because it is the Pre-Season Version of the Gulf Racing #9. If that were not the case there would be Michilen/Pereli logos and tires on the car.
5w2A9AL.png
There is a sneak peak at the 24 files that look like they can add something the car. I might be lucky if half of them work and look good at the same time clear.png I usually move from the known towards the unknown.

I like to use vibrant colors so I can quickly see what I have changed. After I identify the piece I then change it to my liking. Cannot have more than 25 images in a post right now so I cannot show you all the PSD screenshots of what the interior stuff looks like. You can check them out later on.

-Brake Caliper coloration.
7OUWGbq.png

-Harness coloration
-Stitching
-Racing seat fabric cover. Looks pretty cool in game.
-Rear Grid. I had a little more trouble seeing this one.
-Front Grill and Rear lower Grid
-Speakers
-Racing seat shoulder protection. I had to look in game for this one. I have never seen this type of fabric placement before.
-Steering wheel grips
-Dashboard leather
That pretty much rounds up the textures that I am quite familiar with from my interior and hardware utility packs.

The plastic pieces on the outside were interesting. I spent a lot of time on that one.

Here are the latch arrows that will go on the car. After checking the car it looks like I have painted over them with the blue pain. It will be a design decision. Do I want the grey latches with the red arrow? Do I want blue latches with red arrow? Do I want grey latches with no arrow? Etc. From reference pics it looks like we might opt for the red arrow on blue latch.
WOHoT1f.png

18. Working on the window banner.
kmeYIrD.png

19. Now that the banner is done I will have to modify it so that you can see it from the inside of the car. They use two different textures. I will have to modify another alpha layer so this may take some time.
0w1RGDo.png

Here is what it looks like from the outside.
bxeTRCB.png
For the inside you will have to drive it and take a peek yourself clear.png
Both look great.

Using the Finder layer we learn a few things here. The hood latches are a part of the livery paint file, but are not represented in the wireframe. Could this mean that I can modify the latch alpha on the other file? Let's see.
1YHWQVW.png

20. I spend a lot of time with the latch arrows and the Pull you see here. Both had to be done directly on the car template. I had to take a look at a few of the AC default cars to see how they did it.
pcav6bM.png
Aerial is a great font type to use for most things. It is amazing.

21. Hey, look at that! We are finally very close do finished. What is next you ask?
Well now that everything with the car is done we need to take some action shots and the preview screenshots. Not to mention putting a few miles of this new livery whoo! This might take a while clear.png
CCYxaWb.png

22. It has been quite a journey! Here we are!
uWStk51.png
The only thing left to do is zip everything up, put it on mediafire.com so people can download it, and then post some screenshots for those guys over in the 'Screenshots' section of the forum!

~Bailey