Alessandro Pollini

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=4644

File Name: 70Spa

File Submitter: Alessandro Pollini

File Submitted: 20 Nov 2012

File Category: Tracks

Author : motorfx

RaceOn Version

Its a enhanced conversion which differs from the other versions of the papyrus GPL Spa circuit, thats been around. Although its still based on the earlier "Papyrus" gpl to rfactor conversion by the late "frank.f55", who passed it to "Normhart"(CSGT) for use with their mod ...initially "Algis" (CSGT) started the work on it I think he may have reconverted it. "Normhart" asked me to update and adding some extras to Spa, this version has all corners/bends having a smoother appearance. some textures are still the original from GPL. I remapped and retexured the roads, grass, (keeping the apperance of the rough road/grass edges of early race tracks) and a lot of the adverts. Added new modelling .. complete infield and some outer fields added, ( this enabled to have a more open area with some tree wall removal.. some extra bushes grasses and trees, poles and cables added, extra moddelling added at hairpin.. animated flags, remodelled pit garages adding missing backs to the adverts and tower. added some of pit extras,( pit crews, car jacks, pit boards, air cylinders etc) Instead of using startlights etc I made and added a new flag men for the start along with the pit out man..new Aiw, new working rain rflections, animated marshals. some extra pit vehicles supplied by "Philrob" I borrowed the Camera file which was made by "umma gumma" for another 67 spa version.. even though a camera goes behind the odd tree I think it seems to be the best with this layout that I have tried..

GTR2 style Lods by "Taku"

Click here to download this file

I hardly ever criticise other peoples work, but I have to make an exception on this one. I haven't tried the Race07 version so I don't know if it's the same, but this version for GTR2 is awkward and annoying in my opinion.

Here is why:-

1) In the real world it is not possible to fall through the floor and into space. If you go off the track in real life, you will end up on the ground. On the back end of this track, where the grass banking is, if you fly over the wall, you're done for. You fall through the world and therefore can't rejoin the track unless you go back to garage. Now this is particularly annoying here because the lap is so long and you don't want to keep having to garage the car then do an entire out lap just to try another hot lap.

Some might say "dont go off the track" but that is just stupid. It happens ! My issue is when it does happen it would be better to have a way to get back to the track. Some may say that isn't realisitc. Well neither is teleporting back to your garage with a perfect car with the press of a button.

Solution: put some invisible walls up around the track so you can't fall off the world and make some spaced out GAPS in the wall on top of the grass banking to give the player a chance to get back on the track !

2) The grass banking and the grass/mud on the edges of the track... what the hell is going on here ? This grass is like Velcro. As soon as your tyre touches it, it grabs the car like treacle and virtually stops your car from whatever speed you were going. No ! It should be the opposite. The tarmac is grippier than grass. This grass is the stickiest I've ever experienced in my whol sim-racing life. Put a wheel on it and your laptime is blown. Yep another enormous lap down the drain.

Getting a clean lap here with 60's and 70's cars isn't the easiest (although I expect some elitists to come on and tell me otherwise and how amazing they are at it).

So to have so many laps ruined with this grass is just silly.

The graphics are fine, the layout is fine. But wow, some things which require common sense to see, seem to have been missed out.

What a shame !